Teatro Nacional D. Maria II
TEATRO NACIONAL D. MARIA II, E.P.E.
Lisbon’s Teatro Nacional D. Maria II (TNDM II) opened its doors in 1846, during the commemorations of Queen Maria II’s 27th birthday. In 1964, it was completely destroyed in a fire, but would reopen fourteen years later, after a complete reconstruction that preserved the building’s original neoclassical style. It stands in Rossio’s D. Pedro IV Square, and in 2012 it was reclassified as a national monument.
Under the Artistic Direction of Tiago Rodrigues since 2015, the TNDM II works with the intent to open itself to the community, attracting and developing new audiences and bringing cultural and artistic activities to all strata of the society.